Exnora Green Pammal was the brainchild of philanthropist Ms. MangalamBalasubramanian. Founder and the managing trustee Ms. Balasubramanian has been an inspirational figure for women empowerment. She holds a doctoral degree in Nutrition and a Master’s degree in Sociology and Hindi. She worked as chief nutritionist for USAID in India, coordinating their maternal and child health (MCH) nationwide programme from 1971 to 1984. She joined Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, in 1984 as the director of their women’s development programme. During 1985 to 2003, she worked for DANIDA as a senior programme officer for primary health care projects. She also served as the Chief Advisor to the Tamil Nadu Women in Agriculture Programme which trained 6,00,000 women marginal farmers. From 2003 to 2005, she functioned as a resource person for the Tamil Nadu Empowerment and Poverty Reduction Project, and as an agricultural consultant for the Tamil Nadu Corporation for the Development of Women, which was responsible for designing and implementing agricultural training for 25,000 women farmers.
Ms Balasubramanian, a pioneer in solid waste management carries another feather on her hat. She has published several articles and books, including a write up on Nutrition Education Programme:
Members of Executive Board :-
- MangalamBalasubramanian, President/Chairman (Development Professional)
- Jayalakhmi Viswanathan, Vice President (Social activist)
- SaraswathiSooryanarayanan, Treasurer
- MahalakshmiJanardhanan, Secretary (Community development Social Welfare)
- MalathyBalakrishnan, Principal, SankaraVidyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Pammal
- S. Venkatachalam, Financial Controller, (Former City Bank Vice President)
- S. Shankar, Health professional, U.K.
- Balasubramanian, Communication and organizational expert
- V. V. Ramanathan, Marketing Advisor
- Ms. Kashish Bhardwaj Advocacy
Members of Technical Advisory Community :-
- Harish Venkatakrishnan ( PhD, Environmental Biotechnologist, Nanyang Technological Univervity, Singapore)
- Atrayee Bhattacharya (MSc Applied Microbiology)
- Ms.Vija Satya , Lawyer cum C.A
- Ms Indira Chartered Accountant
- Mr.N.S Sriram M.B.A (Finance)
Exnora Green Pammal is now a widely-recognized role model for solid waste management, and an award-winning example of public private partnership. The managing hands of Exnora Green Pammal collaborated with PepsiCo, ITC and several government municipal bodies to launch its solid waste management practices in over a dozen Indian localities. EGP works in partnership with local administrations and residents towardsimproving the public health, protecting the environment, and ensuring the feasibility, relevance and effectiveness of the prescribed practices of solid waste management.
On the same note, EGP works with an advisory board of several environmental engineers and researchers for a continued improvement and innovation in their process chain.